manual download / license ? (was: manual download and buildbot …)

petr 976F at ingv.it
Wed Aug 20 03:16:04 PDT 2014

On 20 Aug 2014, at 11:31, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM, petr wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> yesterday I had a look at some ports which require manual download (py-nio/py-ngl).
>
> Is this a technical issue or a licence limitation? It's not yet clear
> to me why the licence wouldn't allow fetching the code automatically,
> but I didn't try to read it carefully.
>
> I get a weird link, for example:
>    https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/download/fileDownload.htm?logicalFileId=c59d162c-b960-11e0-a567-00c0f03d5b7c
> but then that link works properly with wget or in the browser.

Mojca,

I had in mind that to download this software it was always necessary to register with the website and to accept the Terms of Use and/or License. However, it now looks that I can get to the download as guest and no need to accept any such document. So there seems to be no real technical barrier anymore.

Can you confirm that you were able to download without any registration and/or acceptance of some document?

The license however seems to still make some reference the former process:

http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Licenses/PyNGL_source_license.shtml

INDICATE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS BY CHECKING THE "I have read and hereby accept the PyNGL Source Code License Agreement" ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE AND YOU DO NOT CHECK THE "I ACCEPT" BOX, THE INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL NOT CONTINUE.

To the license experts:
Given that this part of the license seems outdated and does not really apply anyway, can we download automatically in such a case. We probably need to by very explicit in referring to this license (Maybe some Note on installation). For the rest the license looks pretty standard and may even contradicts the above condition as redistribution seems okay.