[129573] trunk/dports/games/Cockatrice/Portfile

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Dec 15 13:49:40 PST 2014

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:
>
> I simply was unsure how to handle the case of a non-existent version number for this project
> when I created it back then.

The best way to handle this situation is to set `version` to a revision number (only if upstream uses a version control system that has strictly increasing identifiers) or a date.

> Now I see that I have done something really wrong here… :-(
>
> I didn’t mean to _abuse_ anything and I am sorry for the confusion caused with all this.
> If you think it is really _necessary_ to go for epoch now, let me know.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so blunt; I wrote that email in a rush.

Nothing is *broken* per se. The problem is that users who look at this port will be confused to see that it is at version 0.0.2 because the upstream project has no such versioning. It's up to you (I assume you're the maintainer) to decide whether that confusion is worth rectifying sooner rather than later.

I don't think switching from "0.0.2" to "2014-12-15" (or whatever the appropriate date is) would require increasing `epoch`, but I'm not sure.

vq
Sent from my iPhone