What would YOU like to see 'port doctor' do?

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 21 17:08:48 PDT 2014

A few ideas:
Checking for files that should not be in macports directory, that end up being there.  They could be left either by an old install, or by a different installer that inappropriately put them in the directory (there was some recent discussion of an installer for an application that was built using macports then shipped with an installer so the installer would just put stuff there).  Perhaps this could be done by looking at all the files in /opt/local and comparing with all the port contents?  Any extras are an error.
A check for a mismatch between the installed system version  and the system that was present for port installs (to catch upgrades that were not done correctly)

--Adam