What would YOU like to see 'port doctor' do?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 22 20:48:57 PDT 2014

On Jul 21, 2014, at 4:33 PM, Kyle Sammons wrote:

> I've been working on a command, "port doctor" that checks for common issues in the user's environment. I've implemented just about everything I, Michael D, Snc, and Neverpanic can think of, so I was wondering if you guys had anything else you'd like to see check by doctor. Currently, doctor checks for:
>
> - Errors in $PATH
> - Incorrect Xcode version
> - Curl and Rsync being installed
> - MacPorts residing in the correct location (/opt/local)
> - Amount of disk space remaining
> - X11.app being installed on OS X 10.6
> - Dylibs in /usr/local/lib
> - Header files in /usr/local/include
> - All archives from installed ports being on disk
> - All files installed by ports being on disk
> - Fink being installed
> - Homebrew being installed
> - Compilation error, "couldn't create cache file"
> - The script /Developer/Library/uninstall-developer-folder not being run.
>
> If you guys can think of anything else that should be implemented, I'd be more than happy to do it!

If you don't already do this, it would be useful to check that:

* Xcode is installed
* the Xcode version is new enough to be supported by the OS X version (some users upgrade the OS and forget to upgrade Xcode)
* the Xcode version is not known to be outdated (see what the configure script already does)
* the command line tools are installed
* the command line tools are of the correct version for the installed version of Xcode