imake

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:56:53 PDT 2014

On 29/09/2014, at 3:25 PM, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
> On 29/09/2014 13:03, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I understood other discussions correctly, KDE3 is already being removed.
>>
>> Sorry, not discussions; recent commit messages indicate that it's being obsoleted and slated for removal starting from the leaves. See for example r125868, r125871.
>
> I had mentioned the idea of making KDE3 obsolete quite some time ago (months) on the list, but never got to do it. I indeed started (independently from the imake discussion, just a coincidence) some days ago with the dependents ports. I going slightly slowly on this part as I am trying to find replacements for the few remaining kde3-based apps whenever possible.
> The idea would be to then remove the kde3 suite after all dependents have been taken care of.
>
> The biggest remaining issue is koffice. Ideally, it could be replaced by calligra (requested in ticket #https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37579), but it seems plagued with several problems at runtime making it only very partly usable on OS X.

As Ryan said, it is not really the duty of MacPorts developers to keep
ports alive if they are not supported upstream.  KDE 3 is long since
"dead" (unmaintained) and all KDE apps dependent on KDE 3 with it.
So, do not worry about KOffice… :-(

As a KDE developer, I do not like this aspect of KDE, but it is a fact of
life. If there is nobody available to "port" a KDE app to a new version of
KDE, then the app becomes "unmaintained" and is no longer released.

KDE 4 is heading that way right now, as the emphasis (in the KDE
project) shifts to Frameworks and KF5. Marko, René and I are working
to make the transition easier for MacPorts developers and users this
time around. When we have time, we should see what can be done to
make Calligra more workable in KDE 4 on Apple OS X.

ATM I do not see more than a trickle of KDE 4 apps that have been
"ported" to KF5. Maybe that will become a flood later.

Meanwhile, I do not know what other FOSS office suites might be a
goer on MacPorts. I use LibreOffice…

Cheers, Ian W.