Port variant "libcaca -x11" still pulls in xorg deps...

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 10:19:12 PDT 2015

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 23:53, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> thanks for your helpful response.
>

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 00:20 , Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
>> imlib2's configure script looks like it has a way to disable X11 support, but the resulting dylib is still linked against X11 libs.  Here's a patch to get you started:
>>
>> <imlib2.x11_variant.patch>
>
> Based on that I have filed a ticket for further review [1]. It builds fine here.

Yes, but unfortunately, it still links against libX11 and libXext despite not needing them.  I suspect this is an opportunistic linkage because the libraries aren't actually used by anything:

~/src/macports/dports/graphics/imlib2 $ otool -L work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libImlib2.dylib
work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libImlib2.dylib:
	/opt/local/lib/libImlib2.1.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.6.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libXext.6.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 18.0.0, current version 18.4.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1213.0.0)

~/src/macports/dports/graphics/imlib2 $ nm -m work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libImlib2.dylib | grep Xext

~/src/macports/dports/graphics/imlib2 $ nm -m work/destroot/opt/local/lib/libImlib2.dylib | grep X11

>> freeglut (and libGLU) are GLX ports.  freeglut cannot build a GLUT.framework based on OpenGL.framework.  If you need to use GLUT/CGL, don't use the freeglut port.
>
> Well, I am not sure what to do about this in libcaca, as all I did was moving things
> from the port into the default x11 variant, so changing nothing effectively for x11.
>
> As I am not an X11 Xpert, I am unsure about whether a non-X11 port would/could build
> with or w/o GLUT/CGL.

Well presumably it wants to render something to the window server.  If that window server is X11, then it needs to use GLX and would use mesa and freeglut for GLUT.  If that window server is OS X's WindowServer, then it needs to use OpenGL.framework and GLUT.framework.

> Wondering whether there is any connection between the above and gstreamer1-gst-plugins-good
> failing on me [2]...

Unrelated.