OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts on OS X

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Feb 7 03:41:37 PST 2015

Hello,

On 07 Feb, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote :
> > The configure procedure finds both the GLX libGL.dylib library and the OpenGL framework, and links both. Somehow that doesn't lead to linker warnings, which is why I didn't notice it before. More details at https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/13838 .
>
> Good luck with that.  My experience with that track is that they will just close your ticket and tell you to piss off.

Where did we ever tell you to "piss off"? Who insulted you? When?

#2659 was closed as normal, because it is normal, as explained to you.
#8161 explained that we dropped X.5 and PPC and 32bits, because of X.9
and X.10 toolchains. Don't like it? Complain to your Apple Xcode team.
#9139 was correctly fixed.
#9475 is heated, sure, but you exactly did not use the recommended
method and use your own system. You're actually sedding our buildsystem,
and then complain that our buildsystem is broken!
The fact that recursive Makefiles are recommended against since automake
1.14 is not our fault.
#10832 was fixed for you and it increased our workload again a lot,
since it was a not final version, and the final version changed again
the API, and we had to add more ifdefs.
#10834 was fixed.
#10835 is a dolt bug that you ask for closing on comment 2.
#10836 is still open and we asked you for more info, and you did not
provide more info.

> As upstream developers' manners leave much to be desired, I opted to stop maintaining the port and haven't really messed with it for quite some time.

If I remember correctly, your manners and attitudes were very much to be
desired too. And not only once.

Not understanding that hacks are not welcome in a massive codebase like
VLC is beyond me.

Problems should be correctly fixed, not hacked. We're the ones, in the
end, that have to maintain it, not you.

All other platform maintainers understand that, except Macports.
And so far, we support a lot more platforms than others.
And we've always managed to do so, even for fucked-up systems like OS/2
and WinRT.

Best,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf