OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts on OS X

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 05:51:18 PST 2015

On Saturday February 07 2015 14:24:29 Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> Oh, yes:
> https://github.com/tomahawk-player/homebrew-tomahawk/blob/master/vlc.rb

So they actually apply patches that are specific to tomahawk, rather than provide a VLC whatever they call it?

> > Are you really sure VLC git/2.2 works under HB?
> Yes.

As a full "standalone" application, or as a backend to 3rd party apps like tomahawk (which I never heard of before)?

> > Also, HB have their own and quite different way of laying out their tree, which probably is much less prone to introducing confusions because of similarities to a Linux layout.
>
> And yet, they behave less agressively than MP and than Jeremy, who just

Not "yet"; if I'm right, their layout scheme helps them avoid issues like the one I ran into, so they have less reason to defend their way of doing things against yours.

> a couple of mail ago accused us of insults and ad hominem attacks.

Erm, and who accused me of being insulting?

> The fact that HB is now more popular than MP could be also because of
> your attitude?

I'd like to see valid statistics proving that statement. Which is completely irrelevant for the rest; HB and MacPorts are complementary.
FWIW, MacPorts is used for development and binary distribution building by the developer of a certain well known and widely used cross-platform UI framework. And that's completely irrelevant to this discussion too :)

> What regression, once again?
> After 10s of comments, there is still no compile log, no runtime logs.

Oh, so after 1h of communication between the deaf I finally understand that you meant
"Can you give us the data needed to see if there is indeed a regression and where, by doing a), b) and/or c)"
instead of
"What regression, there is no regression"

I can provide whatever you need to do what I asked, just tell me what and how.

> > But I am! Please have a look at the logs I attached to the trac ticket...
>
> Jeremy wasn't, and that's the topic of this mail, about supposedly us
> insulting him, because we closed his bugreport that he kept reopening,
> while the whole time, he was hacking your buildsystem.

In defense of Jeremy, I think he was. I took over the Portfile that had his signature, so I'm presuming that's what he used too.
And it does a bootstrap before invoking configure.

> Not to mention heavily patching VLC, with no good reason, as we can see
> with the NSEnviron ticket.

Again in his defense, I hold him in high esteem as a developer, who knows OS X way more intimately than most (he's the main XQuartz developer).

I've seen the patches, I've even extended one (to get rid of the last references to Growl). We may not agree on how good the reasons are for those patches (= the ones I know of), but from what I can see they have nothing to do with the issue at hand.
If not only because they were there in 2.1.5 and concern code that hasn't been changed since.

Cheers,
R.