OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts on OS X

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Feb 7 05:57:52 PST 2015

On 07 Feb, René J.V. Bertin wrote :
> Not "yet"; if I'm right, their layout scheme helps them avoid issues like the one I ran into, so they have less reason to defend their way of doing things against yours.

Sure, but then don't complain that we're the ones at fault.

> > a couple of mail ago accused us of insults and ad hominem attacks.
>
> Erm, and who accused me of being insulting?

Where, again?

> > What regression, once again?
> > After 10s of comments, there is still no compile log, no runtime logs.
>
> Oh, so after 1h of communication between the deaf I finally understand that you meant
> "Can you give us the data needed to see if there is indeed a regression and where, by doing a), b) and/or c)"
> instead of
> "What regression, there is no regression"
>
> I can provide whatever you need to do what I asked, just tell me what and how.

https://wiki.videolan.org/Report_bugs

And in your case, where you have a build issue, the compile log.

> > > But I am! Please have a look at the logs I attached to the trac ticket...
> >
> > Jeremy wasn't, and that's the topic of this mail, about supposedly us
> > insulting him, because we closed his bugreport that he kept reopening,
> > while the whole time, he was hacking your buildsystem.
>
> In defense of Jeremy, I think he was. I took over the Portfile that had his signature, so I'm presuming that's what he used too.
> And it does a bootstrap before invoking configure.

He claimed that sedding our buildsystem was correct.

> > Not to mention heavily patching VLC, with no good reason, as we can see
> > with the NSEnviron ticket.
>
> Again in his defense, I hold him in high esteem as a developer, who knows OS X way more intimately than most (he's the main XQuartz developer).

So what? He could be the kernel core developer or Linux Torvalds, that wouldn't
change a thing. He behaved wrongly, and then complained we were
insulting him, and lied about his patches not being taken in accounts.

> I've seen the patches, I've even extended one (to get rid of the last references to Growl). We may not agree on how good the reasons are for those patches (= the ones I know of), but from what I can see they have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

One of them is amazing, by patching a clear and on-purpose limitation of
linking to libavcodec 56...

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf