[KDE/Mac] Getting started on Mac OS X

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Jan 6 10:23:36 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015, at 12:52 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday January 06 2015 11:48:46 Michael Dickens wrote:
>
> > There just isn't enough time in the day! Some day, I won't be so crazy
> > busy! Some day, I really will address the Qt4 tickets. I really do like
> > the idea of having Qt4 and Qt5 available at the same time & I know that
> > Qt4 needs some attention (as does Qt5, but I haven't even found time for
>
> Do you use port:qt4-mac yourself? If so, it won't necessarily take a lot
> of time to install it in concurrent mode, esp. if you've kept your
> work/build tree around. Given the lack of feedback, I was actually
> planning to make +concurrent the default (= remove the variant), and add
> a +exclusive variant corresponding to the current default behaviour. That
> might make testing even easier...

Yes, I use Qt4 in my work as well as a bunch of other display
technologies. We're working on transitioning to Qt5 as the primary
display technology we use; it's a lot of work! Among the other jobs I'm
working on right now.

If you want to work me off-list/off-ticket, that could work for me.
Email me off-list if you want to try this method & I'll do what I can.

> > the Qt4 stuff yet). Both ports are listed as 'openmaintainer' if anybody
> > else -really- wants to go there :) - MLD
>
> Hmm, yeah, I can understand why few people feel like taking up an
> official maintainer status for that kind of port ...

I don't minds doing "openmaintainer" for most of my ports. That said,
Qt[45] are -huge- ports in terms of both build time as well as
dependents; I think the compiler ports (gcc*, llvm*, clang*) have
roughly the same level of complication / (potential areas for issues)
that Qt[45] do. Even on my reasonably modern MacBook Pro Retina, Qt4
still takes ~1 hour to compile -- which is way too long for the usual QA
I do for most of my other ports. I think it's this level of complexity
that turns people off, makes them not want to take up as a co-maintainer
or anything even related to that. The rest of the ports I maintain,
OTOH, take no more than 10 minutes to build, so those are pretty easy to
do patching / QA testing.