[KDE/Mac] Getting started on Mac OS X

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:47:36 PST 2015

On Tuesday January 06 2015 13:23:36 Michael Dickens wrote:

> Yes, I use Qt4 in my work as well as a bunch of other display

The one installed through MacPorts? That's what I meant; if you do, you'd already have your test cases up and running ;)

> technologies. We're working on transitioning to Qt5 as the primary
> display technology we use; it's a lot of work! Among the other jobs I'm

I believe you...

> If you want to work me off-list/off-ticket, that could work for me.
> Email me off-list if you want to try this method & I'll do what I can.

Roger that.

> I don't minds doing "openmaintainer" for most of my ports. That said,
> Qt[45] are -huge- ports in terms of both build time as well as

Indeed, which is also why I don't feel like becoming their maintainer. Once you have them built though and as long as you can spare the couple of Gb the work directory takes up, incremental builds aren't very expensive.

> that Qt[45] do. Even on my reasonably modern MacBook Pro Retina, Qt4
> still takes ~1 hour to compile -- which is way too long for the usual QA

Ditto, though I've also seen it take at least twice as long (2*2 core 2.7Ghz i7 CPU).

R.