repetitive path gives filename too long errors

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 03:17:25 PDT 2015

On Monday March 09 2015 10:54:55 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>> What happens when you set workpath to something short like /tmp/mp ?
>
>After you wait for hours and hours for your "port build qt5-something"
>to finish (or rather break with some compile error), you figure out
>that you need to go home. You switch off the computer and when you
>turn it on again back at home, you realize that your build directory
>is gone.

>After you wait for hours and hours for your "port build qt5-something"
>to finish (or rather break with some compile error), you figure out

that you need to change something in that portfile you're working on. You make the (trivial) change, and repeat the failed port command

only to realise you had left out that -o option exactly for a reason for that last command.

In other words, Murphy-style operator errors is not the answer ;) (Switching off rather than suspending when in the middle of something is just as stupid as forgetting -o ... O:-) )

>Or it might be gone "just because". For no good reason. Maybe a clean

Other Murphy-style errors either. :)

I don't have the impression that /tmp is being cleaned behind my back other than when rebooting ... and one could use /tmp/.mp
Or heck, simply /.mp if we're hacking anyway ...

R.