registry backup (and upgrade --force)

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Mon Apr 4 09:07:40 PDT 2016

> On Apr 3, 2016, at 2:31 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just went through a bit of a hairy exercise. With a bit too much distraction and hurry going on I did a `port upgrade --force` of a port I'd just rebuilt from source so I forgot both the -s and the (crucial) -n options. Seeing the resulting "reinstall all dependencies" begin to happen, I hit ^C, but not before I had already replaced my libiconv with an apparently incompatible binary package.
>
> Subsequent port commands hung without even a line of debug output, which I finally presumed due to registry corruption. There was no backup in var/macports/registry, but fortunately I had an up-to-date copy in my previous TM backup (evidently the Latest backup already contained the corrupted file).

Did you try opening the sqlite registry database using the sqlite command line client after the “corruption”?

In the past when I experienced issues with port accessing the registry I would open the registry with the sqlite client which would do some maintenance procedure (vacuum ?) which fixed the registry in all the 5 to 10 times I have experienced registry access issues.

Did you keep a copy of the registry? If so, try opening it with the sqlite client.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)