Patch naming policy

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Fri Oct 7 11:15:31 PDT 2016

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:04 PM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-10-06 13:56, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> I don't care if we use *.diff or *.patch. Either is fine, but I would
>> prefer if we would stick to one ending and try to be as consistent as
>> we can be.
>
> Some statistics on consistency:
>
> $ find dports -name '*.diff' |wc -l
>    4922
> $ find dports -name '*.patch' |wc -l
>    1079
> $ find dports -name '*.diff' -exec basename {} \; |grep -c -v '^patch-'
> 324
>
> Especially when maintainers use patches from 'git format-patch' they
> often end up with *.patch.

I'm not sure that we have to mandate one extension, but if we do,
I would prefer ".patch", which I feel implies intent to modify, as
opposed to merely describing a difference.

"Did you just make that up? And aren't those just two sides of the same
coin?"

Correct on both counts, imaginary collaborator.

vq