Moving to GitHub: Status Update, Action Required

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Oct 22 05:41:07 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 02:31:32PM +0200, Marko Käning wrote:
> When reading the WorkingWithGit wiki page [1] I saw how port
> contributors can post their suggestions to MacPorts via "Pull
> Requests”, yet it does not get clear from that text how those PRs will
> then actually be included into the official repo…

Developers will merge them, either using the command line client, or the
GitHub UI. We haven't decided and documented which merge method to use,
although I'd prefer the rebase.

> Just this moment I got invited to MacPorts' "Developer team" on GitHub
> and saw that I now have "pull access” to the MacPorts ports
> repository, which is probably enabling me in the future to push
> changes into it?
>
> 	But the term “pull access” confuses me here!
>
> I mean, I can pull in changes into my clone or fork from the MacPorts
> repo any time…

Pull access means that we haven't given the team write access to the
repository yet, so at the moment being a member of the GitHub org only
gives you added privileges in Trac. This will change as soon as we're
done with the conversion next weekend.

--
Clemens