[GSoC] Call for Mentors GSoC 2017

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Tue Feb 7 18:02:36 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> On 7 February 2017 at 16:25, Michael Dickens wrote:
>> I'm up for being a mentor again, for the correct student.
>>
>> Do we have a MP GSoC website up yet? The best I can find is <
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode >, which is for 2015.
>
> I guess the idea is to simply fix the contents of that page (fix dates etc.).

Yes. Also, feel free to update the wiki with any ideas that come up.

> Many project ideas are still valid, but we should of course add new
> ones (go through the tickets and figure out what ideas are both
> feasible and of great importance to the community :) and potentially
> change some of the old ones (or remove them if no longer relevant).

I think some of the old ideas may not be feasible since with every new
edition of OS, some new features are added and accordingly we might
also have to update/remove those ideas since we might not be
supporting the older versions of mac os.

> Some things from the top of my head (without checking feasibility or
> reasonability):
> - collect statistics from the buildbot jobs, track outdated ports (via
> livecheck), ... to become part of a potential new website
> - come up with a solution to test basic functionality of submitted pull requests
> - create various buildbot jobs that we might need (like
> "automatically" creating a new release etc.)

Mojca, would you like to put these ideas on our Ideas page ? and also
possibly be a mentor :).

> - finish the SAT solver for dependency tracking (started during 2015,
> not sure about the current status)

I am trying to continue the work on it in my free time, need to update
myself as lot of changes were made since I last worked on macports
base.

I had updated the branch with master few months back and now I am
working on merging it with the latest change. Some work need to be
done regarding the libsolv source to match with vendor tarball PR
changes.

Some of the work that were left during that time were uninstall ports,
variants support and to add more fields to the portfile for better
search options that are supported by libsolv. There might be more
things that we could do with libsolv since there has been lot of
additions to libsolv source too which I feel would be easy to
integrate as we now have extracted directories and latest changes can
be pushed without tarring the whole thing and pushing which was an
expensive overhead before.

--
Jackson Isaac