Handling C++11

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:18:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez <mcalhoun at macports.org
> wrote:

> > gcc 5.1 libstdc++ is GPL3 and poses significant license issues with
> respect to distributing binaries, among others.
> Again, there may be something important I am missing, but isn’t there a
> GCC runtime library exceptions that ameliorates this concern
> (https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/license.html)?

Apple's lawyers don't think so, so you cannot redistribute anything
combining Apple libraries with it. (Since you can't avoid libSystem, this
means you cannot redistribute binaries.)

It's not a question of what makes sense to you, it's not a question of what
would be convenient. Apple called the shots and we are forced to adapt.