Changing default cxx_stdlib to libc++

Kenneth F. Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 23:46:06 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-12, at 5:21 PM, Michael wrote:

> Is there a reason for a universal binary on PPC anymore?
>
> Anyone running a PPC binary today will either be on a PPC machine (10.5), or an Intel machine with Rosetta (10.6).
> They either want a 10.5 PPC binary, or a 10.6 Intel binary.
>
> So is there any reason for a PPC universal build today?

I use the PPC universal binaries to build things on 10.5 Intel that require tools that only exist on 10.5 Intel (working newer versions of clang, for example, like clang-5.0), and then move them manually over to the 10.5 PPC machine and install them there from the binary.

But it's fair to say that's a niche, and the worldwide crowd who wants this behaviour might have an n < 5 (me, Fred, the guy who made the patches for libsdl2, Ricky Zhang, and maybe Michael Dickens with his new PPC setups he mentioned).

Anyway, it's just one more reason to keep 10.5 and less on libstdc++, which we had already decided to do.

Ken