Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Mon May 7 18:52:15 UTC 2018

Hi Vishnu,

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 12:01 AM, Vishnu <vishnum1998 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thanks for the repository link.
>
> so my current email should be added as the collaborator for me to
> contribute right?
> or should i use the new macports id.

I don't remember exactly but I guess yes, you would need to be added as a
collaborator to start contributing to the repository.

In the meantime, feel free to push your code to your local repository.

in that case do i have to make a new account or what?
> not clear about that..

No, you just add the macports email id to your existing
github profile (See Links:[6] at the end).

You would also want to update your git config (you could use --local
to keep the config local to the directory that you are working on)
to use your macports id though.

See: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#setup

> Also writing down some points we discussed for the community to know :
>
> 1) make the repository    -  already done.
> 2) Upload a file with DB schema .

There should be some way that you can create tables/schema
using markdown. But feel free to use whatever works better for you.

> 3) Set milestones in github.
> 4) Learn about unit tests

To know more about unit tests in brief I found a brief answer on SO [1].
You can
find a detailed article on Tutorials point [4] and wikipedia [5].

> 5) Really try to implement API feature.

It would help to come up with a simple design on what the API would do.
This would
help you during the coding phase. We can always refine it as we progress.

7) Discuss about what commit needs to be shown on the port page.

As discussed, we could keep this topic for discussion at a later point of
time.

> 8) Add columns for port and intended OS  , Port and build possible OS

Thanks for documenting the points discussed. I have added some of my
thoughts inline.

> jackson i would require the milestones page you talked about.

I was talking about something like [2]. To get more idea about milestones,
you can refer [3].

Links:
[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/3258768/1970068
[2] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/milestones