Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon May 7 20:45:21 UTC 2018

Dear Vishu,

On 7 May 2018 at 20:52, Jackson Isaac <ijackson at macports.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 12:01 AM, Vishnu <vishnum1998 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2) Upload a file with DB schema .
>
> There should be some way that you can create tables/schema
> using markdown. But feel free to use whatever works better for you.

Probably a regular markdown table. Anything else are probably just
images that are not really easy to quickly edit.

>> 3) Set milestones in github.
>> 4) Learn about unit tests
>
> To know more about unit tests in brief I found a brief answer on SO [1]. You
> can
> find a detailed article on Tutorials point [4] and wikipedia [5].

Those are some generic links. A more specific one would be here:
    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/topics/testing/overview/
but the same principles apply everywhere, so reading a few generic
links about unit tests is good anyway.

Often a good idea is to write unit tests first (letting them fail) and
then keep implementing the code until all the unit tests pass.

>> 5) Really try to implement API feature.
>
> It would help to come up with a simple design on what the API would do. This
> would
> help you during the coding phase. We can always refine it as we progress.

Yes, brainstorming about API would help. If you could make at least
some initial proposal to be refined later ...

>> 7) Discuss about what commit needs to be shown on the port page.
>
> As discussed, we could keep this topic for discussion at a later point of
> time.

I would not worry about which commits to show. To be honest I would
always show the latest N commits (N being some arbitrary number,
between 3 and 20, and then a link saying "more ..."), but I would not
try to be smart about which commits were important, at least not at
this point. To start with, a simple URL pointing to GitHub site
listing changes for that port would be more than sufficient.

>> 8) Add columns for port and intended OS  , Port and build possible OS

I'm not sure if a simple column would work well enough. One port
could, for example:
- not compile on darwin8 and darwin9 at all
- provide version 1.0 on darwin10 to darwin12
- provide version 2.0 on darwin13 and newer

> Thanks for documenting the points discussed. I have added some of my
> thoughts inline.
>
>> jackson i would require the milestones page you talked about.
>
> I was talking about something like [2]. To get more idea about milestones,
> you can refer [3].

I just figured out that I don't have permissions to edit milestones.
So either someone needs to create them or give us permissions to
create them first.

After than, the milestones should be available at
    https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/milestones

Mojca