Which release supported installation destinations?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Sep 12 05:34:08 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 02:01, George Plymale II wrote:

> > I have an older version of Macports (for OSX 10.6.8) that gives me the
> > ability to control the installation destination, but it has notation
> > stating that the destination feature would be going away in later
> > releases. It is my recollection that I was able to find the same
> > destination feature for my laptop running the last version of El
> > Capitan. If you can find a release of Macports that supports (although
> > discouraged by the developers) destination installations, you can
> > easily install the desired libraries
>
> I have dug through the ChangeLog and I am not sure which release(s) of
> MacPorts this person is referring to. I would like to try out what he's
> suggesting, but I'm having a tough time finding this needle in the
> proverbial haystack.

I'm not entirely sure that I fully understand what the person tried to
say, but you can install any version of MacPorts (including the latest
one) to an arbitrary prefix. The only caveat is that you need to
install MacPorts from source (./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want
&& make && sudo make install) and that you loose the ability to get
binary packages, so you'll spend more time compiling.

See also https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source.multiple
for some important notes about changing application dir etc. to
prevent conflicts between multiple copies of MacPorts.

Mojca