Adding a Code of Conduct to MacPorts

George Plymale II georgedp at orbitalimpact.com
Wed Sep 19 04:32:50 UTC 2018

I'm fairly new in the MacPorts community, but I'd like to offer an
opinion on this topic. Personally, I feel that CoC's like the
Contributor Covenant, Postgres CoC, FreeBSD CoC, etc. are very... umm,
let's just say strict. I think they read more like license terns than a
set of guidelines on how to be friendly in a community. The real problem
with them seems to be with the fact that they're so specific. This means
in practice that Bob will point to it and say, "Alice did this to me"
and then Alice will come back and say, "well I wasn't breaking any rules
because it wasn't included in your CoC."

I know that kind of situation sounds silly, but this is the kind of
thing that happens with these sorts of CoC's. I personally prefer a
human-driven approach, where people take things on a case-by-case
basis. I.e., people can decide whether someone is being unreasonable or
not and it is a much healthier way of doing things in my
experience. I've seen lots of drama in the past due to people trying to
force these unnatural CoC's upon projects and it results in more harm
than good.

I personally vouch for the Ruby Code of Conduct. Here is a link:
https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/conduct/

I think it encapsulates the basis of a friendly community while being
succinct. I really doubt that any problems will arise like this in the
future, but I think that having a healthy CoC will be good for everyone.

Just my 2ยข