GSoC 2019 [Phase out dependency on Xcode]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Apr 8 11:50:28 UTC 2019

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 16:36, Satryaji Aulia wrote:

> Hi Marcus and Mojca.
>
> I’ve fleshed out my proposal (also my understanding of MacOS compilers)
> again. To disallow Xcode compilers, I added my idea to use a compiler
> blacklist which implementation already exists. I’ve also worked a lot on my
> macports-base PR and am confident that I can comfortably code in Tcl.
>
> I marked the PR ready for review as it is now already functional.
> Demo here: https://asciinema.org/a/1X9VFUxRXncOE1m7PhB9DVKcX

Amazing new feature, thank you!

> Any feedback on my proposal would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please note that I have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to
implement these features (I'm not familiar with the base too much, so
it makes sense to listen to Marcus or Clemens or someone else from the
core team, don't take me as an authority in this area).

Here are some of my random ideas that could be either parts of
proposal or stretch goals:

(a) https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52575 (report xcode version in
main.log; should be simple to do)

(b) https://trac.macports.org/ticket/15712 (declarative syntax to
specify incompatible macOS versions)

(c) https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56093 (simplify blacklisting compilers)

(d) (There are probably a couple other things that could be done with
trace mode.)

(e) Probably more of a stretch goal anyway: It could be nice to
support "submit pull request" as the next step of "port bump". Maybe
from web interface, once we get there :)

I'm not saying it is. I just said that it's hard to say :)

> Also, I used port bump on
> asciidoctor to test it out and submitted a PR.

Cool, thank you very much.
I then realised that it wasn't asciidoctor we were missing as a
package, but docbookrx (which we will need for conversion of our guide
which is currently in docbook).
Sorry for misguidance, but thank you for the update in any case.

Mojca