Testing an idea

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Sun Feb 10 01:39:16 UTC 2019

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 02:26:14AM +0100, Eric F (iEFdev) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I had this idea I want to test here. When creating a Portfile and adding:
>maintainers - only GitHub is recognized when adding a username like “@fooBar”.
>One *could* cheat and use:
>
>In Portfile:       maintainers    {GitHost:\ @fooBar}
>With "port info":  Maintainers:   Email: GitHost: @fooBar
>

>So, I was thinking it would be great with an optional syntax to be able to add a
>couple of Git host services: GitLab and Bitbucket (= the 3 big ones), so one
>could use something like:
>
>/# just as a test to get the output:/
>In Portfile:       maintainers    @fooBar @gh:Foo @gl:Bar @bb:Baz
>With "port info":  Maintainers:   GitHub: fooBar
>                                  GitHub: Foo
>                                  GitLab: Bar
>                                  Bitbucket: Baz
>
>I've tested the prefixes by changing “macportports_utils.tcl”, but using github
>for all when setting the maintainer, so the part of picking up the prefixes
>works. And then I guess it just needs the 2 additional entries to port.tcl. I
>haven't tested that part.
>
>Would that be a good idea?
>Or maybe it's already been discussed earlier.

I believe the maintainers field is used to contact the maintainer,
either via email or by mentioning (@) the user on GitHub. We can't
contact one with their GitLab or Bitbucket account in our PRs or Trac
tickets, so I think other Git hosting services are not relevant here.

If in the future we switch to another service for issue/PR tracking, we
may adopt a transitional scheme like this though.

--
Zero