Docker container with MacPorts

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Jun 26 16:13:09 UTC 2019

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 16:00, Karan Sheth wrote:

> Hey,
>
> My suggestion would be: could you perhaps share the sources
>> (Dockerfile I guess; together with some basic usage instructions)? We
>> could probably add a repository under github/macports-gsoc or so. Then
>> I could at least build an image locally instead of getting something
>> incompatible.
>>

> I had previously just docker pulled ubuntu and installed macports manually
> on it and then commiting the changes.
> Please test the Dockerfile attached with this mail by building it using
> "docker build".

Yay, thank you very much!

It builds and works fine for me. (We should put the file somewhere to one
of our repositories.)

> It might take upto 30 to 45min to build.

I thought it would be faster (it took 30 minutes here), but running
portindex is one of the slowest steps.

I don't fully understand why the error occurred for you, isn't docker
> supposed to be free of such errors?

Docker might well be, but there's something I would call a bug in MacPorts
that checks the kernel version, and then it's MacPorts that refuses to run
just because your kernel version was different. This should be fixed in
MacPorts base.

I also saw a gazzilion of errors in Portfiles, like for example:

Failed to parse file foo/bar/Portfile: MacPorts does not support qt4 on
platforms other than darwin
Failed to parse file lang/chicken/Portfile: can't read "archs()": no such
element in array

It would probably make sense to report all these errors to a ticket, and
address them.
We could at some point probably also set CI that would at least run
portindex and lint on linux (probably not the full build).

Mojca