Request to help potential GSOC students

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Mar 28 22:25:04 UTC 2019

Dear MacPorts users & developers,

You probably noticed a slightly increased traffic on this mailing list recently.

GSOC is an amazing opportunity for the students to learn something
new, and for the MacPorts community to greatly benefit from their
work. Last year we had almost no applications, while this year we seem
to be "bombarded" compared to the number of workforce available.

I would be really grateful to get some helping hands reviewing student
proposals and answering their questions. While not everyone of us is
heavily skilled in every aspect of the code, some of the proposals are
pretty generic, easy to understand and could greatly benefit from your
feedback.

The deadline for the final submission is the 9th of April.

Proposals that we received so far:

=== MacPorts Base

* Speed up trace mode by Mihir Luthra
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qH5VMtrQ3tvd5gFPf51lmJtd6dYfUuEmO1AvXmU_4qM

=== Web / Buildbot projects

* Custom Views Plugin for Buildbot by Rajdeep Bharati
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12wRjA8sOWNOuApHZ_fm0n1aIPLVPt9Xm2yGiMwiK3AI

* Web app for port info, build and installation stats by Arjun Salyan
https://docs.google.com/document/d/198Ivygxb2NJQz_sqzDrbDPVEYZ5Ye5Yw0LV6Bt2QmG4

Other enquiries:

=== Portfiles

* Automatic generation of Portfiles via UPT by Karan Sheth
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-March/040405.html

=== Base / PortGroups

* Auto-detection of build dependencies by Arghya Bhattacharya
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-March/040191.html
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-March/040202.html

* Make Blacklisting MacPorts Compilers Easier by Fatema Sherif
(awaiting response)
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-March/040389.html

=== Other

* Android Application for all Ports by Ravi Rathee (not suitable)
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-March/040335.html
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2019-March/040183.html

Thanks in advance,
    Mojca