MacPorts webapp project updates

Arjun Salyan arjun at macports.org
Sun Jul 12 18:55:57 UTC 2020

Hello all,

This is in continuation to my previous emails regarding updates about the
webapp. The temporary version is deployed at http://macports.silentfox.tech/

*New features:*

*Accounts:*
Users can now create accounts on the webapp using email/password or login
with their GitHub handles.

*Watchlist and notifications:*
Logged-in users can add ports to the watchlist. Notifications are displayed
whenever a port gets updated. An overview of the followed ports is
displayed with filters for "broken builds", "outdated livecheck" etc.

*"Followed by me" ports*
Logged-in users can get an overview of the ports that they maintain (this
is done by matching their emails and GitHub handles with those supplied in
the Portfiles).

*"Splash screen" (upcoming)*
It was pointed out that our current port page (
http://macports.silentfox.tech/port/cctools/) contains a lot of technical
information which might not be useful for the general user. This reduces
the odds of user acquisition. So, we plan to add a page with a focus on the
software version and installation instructions. It will have a link to the
existing page under "Details". Maintainers and advanced users will be able
to by-pass this page (setting a cookie with the preferred page) and reach
the details page directly. Existing links will be maintained in this
process.

Feedback and suggestions would be very constructive.

Thank You