perl and python version update

Giuseppe 'ferdy' Miceli ferdy at ferdy.it
Wed Jun 2 11:12:00 UTC 2021

ciao,

> On 2 Jun 2021, at 09:29, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com <mailto:ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Seems like a fine idea to me. Thing is, you actually don't want to be that current anyway.

1. as far i understood, for perl the recommended version should be perl5.30 which is stable (even tho’ not maintained), one year old (latest updated 20200601):

	version	latest update	status
	5.30		2020-06-01	old version - not maintained
	5.32		2021-01-23	old version - still maintained
	5.34		2021-05-20	current stable - not yet in macports

moreover it is more “complete” in terms of modules:

	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name p5.32* | grep name | wc -l
	15
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name p5.30* | grep name | wc -l
	1850
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name p5.28* | grep name | wc -l
	1848
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name p5.26* | grep name | wc -l
	1847

2. what about python? as far as i understood should be 3.9 (also one year old and with 3.10 still in beta, expected release oct 2021):

	version	maintainance	release		end of support
	3.9		bugfix		2020-10-05	2025-10
	3.8		bugfix		2019-10-14	2024-10
	3.7		security		2018-06-27	2023-06-27
	3.6		security		2016-12-23	2021-12-23
	2.7		end-of-life	2010-07-03	2020-01-01

as for modules, this is the status:

	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name py39* | grep name | wc -l
	1036
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name py38* | grep name | wc -l
	1278
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name py37* | grep name | wc -l
	1299
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name py36* | grep name | wc -l
	1060
	ferdy at wabi:~$ port info --name py27* | grep name | wc -l
	1331

does it make sense? also, what are we supposed to do with python2.7?
—
ferdy