Buildbot Performance

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 17 23:00:00 UTC 2021

On May 17, 2021, at 17:42, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> Also, I see two buildbot VMs with 9 GB of memory allocated:
>
> OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 (15G22010)
> Xcode v8.2.1 (8C1002)
> Apple LLVM version 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)
> Architecture: x86_64
> C++ library: libc++
> CPU: 8 ⨉ 2.15 GHz
> RAM: 9 GB
> Boot date: 2021-05-01T21:54:00Z
>
> macOS Mojave v10.14.6 (18G9028)
> Xcode v10.3 (10G8)
> Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)
> Architecture: x86_64
> C++ library: libc++
> CPU: 8 ⨉ 2.15 GHz
> RAM: 9 GB
> Boot date: 2021-05-01T21:54:00Z
>
> This is problematic, if we’re already exceeding the physical memory available [when also factoring in the needs of the hypervisor].

It is not problematic. Per my earlier explanation of which VM is on which host, 10.8, 10.11, and 10.14 are currently together on a host that has 32 GB RAM. If I set them all to 8 GB RAM, then 2.x GB RAM are not being used for anything. I improved the performance of the 10.11 and 10.14 VMs and made it less likely for them to swap by assigning the additional available 1 GB RAM to each.