Why is binary avoided for Xcode MPI wrappers?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 21 03:56:32 UTC 2021

On May 20, 2021, at 11:51, Eric Borisch wrote:

> It was an issue where when the xcode versions were not aligned on the builder and user that the resulting binary package did not work correctly.
>
> I really can't speak to if this is still an issue we would run into; we could always try re-enabling pre-compiled usage and see if anyone runs into it again. (And try to do a better job of documenting what the issue is this time if it does.)

We have no tickets about the previous problem to study?

> It is possible that rev-upgrade will catch the issue (if it still occurs) as well; I don't recall if that was available at the time.

rev-upgrade only checks library linkage. If you're saying that this software links with a library inside Xcode, and that the install name of that library varies by Xcode version such that the software linked with the library in one version of Xcode fails with a library file not found error when Xcode is upgraded to a new version, then yes rev-upgrade would detect that. Otherwise, no it would not.