Why is binary avoided for Xcode MPI wrappers?

Eric Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri May 21 14:00:58 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 10:56 PM Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> We have no tickets about the previous problem to study?

My cursory looks for them or mailing list discussions have failed. I would
tear it out for now.

> rev-upgrade only checks library linkage. If you're saying that this
software links with a library inside Xcode, and that the install name of
that library varies by Xcode version such that the software linked with the
library in one version of Xcode fails with a library file not found error
when Xcode is upgraded to a new version, then yes rev-upgrade would detect
that. Otherwise, no it would not.

If someone installs MacPorts without following the directions (installing
xcode / command line tools), they might (don't know, I haven't tried doing
that) end up downloading a package that tries (via mpicc / mpicxx) to run a
compiler that isn't there. (Since running mpicc requires the wrapped cc to
be present.) But looking at the binaries and libraries in mpich-default, I
don't think rev-upgrade would catch anything.

Thanks,
  - Eric