Slight problem that probably needs resolving...

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 00:39:21 UTC 2021

> mascguy committed the request after only a few hours before waiting for drkp to comment (drkp is the maintainer.) This isn't my main concern, however; my main concern is that mascguy then deleted my comments in which I noted that this wasn't how things are generally done, which doesn't seem like reasonable behavior.

A few thoughts:
* I’d strongly argue that lecturing your fellow members, within the context of a contributor’s PR, is utterly inappropriate. It’s an internal MacPorts-related matter, and doesn’t send a positive message to our non-members.
* I stand by my decision to remove your comments. They were wholly unrelated to the PR itself, and such comments pollute the discussion/history.
* If you have an issue with a member, I’d strongly encourage you to take it up with them privately. And don’t hesitate to CC the Managers for visibility.

As for my deliberate decision to promptly merge the PR you mentioned, I stand by that as well:
* The port is openmaintainer
* The fix targeted a specific architecture - ARM - minimizing risk.
* The fix related to fatal build issues on ARM, which is undoubtedly impacting our users. And in the interest of removing barriers for our users - and fatal build issues on a popular architecture, is certainly a major one - such fixes arguably shouldn’t wait days or weeks before being merged.

If you’d like to schedule a real-time discussion with the Managers, so that you can vent your frustrations toward me, I’m certainly open to it.

Frankly, I’m not sure anything else needs to be said. But if you feel otherwise, let’s chat!

Cheers and Thanks,
-Chris