intltool random perls

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Mar 1 03:19:18 UTC 2022

On 2022-3-1 14:03 , Craig Treleaven wrote:
> The buildbots on OSX 10.12 and older are not finding a compatible version of XML::Parser and thus geany's configure fails.  However, NONE of the buildbots (nor my local machine) are using /opt/local/bin/perl5.30!

The correct fix is to delete the INTLTOOL_PERL check from the geany
configure script. There's no reason programs that use intltool need to
care about which perl intltool is using internally. One of many examples
of doing this:
<https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/xfce/libxfce4ui/files/remove-intltool-perl-hack.diff>

We have patched our intltool port to do this since 2013, so ports that
run autoreconf will get the fix. But configure scripts that were
generated upstream with an unpatched intltool.m4 will need to be fixed.

The patch has never been acknowledged by intltool upstream:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/intltool/+bug/1197875>

I'm not sure if it's even being developed any more.

- Josh