ports.macports.org gives strange port dependencies

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Sep 25 21:36:17 UTC 2022

>>> The output of "port info pciids” from the same Docker container says:
>> Can you please run
>> > port -d info pciids
>> pipe the output to file and send it here ? I want to see if we can figure out what is leading port to decide to add these deps.
>
> Compiler selection doesn't depend only on the platform, it looks at the actual versions (and existence) of the compilers available on the system. It's just another way in which a static PortIndex can't reflect the dynamic values of Portfile variables.
>
> So to make this work as you want, you'd have to either make a way to inject a fake compiler_version_cache, or provide compiler executables (or something that looks like them) that report the desired versions on the system running portindex.

Yeah I guessed as much.

Its always been a limitation of the site that it can only report the deps for a single platform, but its a bit of a shame that platform also isn’t actually a macOS version.

Instead of generating the portindex itself, running on linux, would it not work if instead it just grabbed the index from the macports buildbots, as also distributed to uses ? Say for the most recent OS. Using this instead of generating its own would at least make the results correct for one platform.

Chris