10.5 and gcc8 x86-64 ok but ppc bails with dlerror

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:32:14 UTC 2024

> On Apr 7, 2024, at 11:24 PM, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola at libero.it> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> Up to now, though, older systems have used gcc7, and in a few cases gcc5 or gcc48 are used for specific issues. So those gcc versions may still be needed ... time will tell.
>
> for me it is gcc48 (or apple 4.2 on tiger or such) for old software. gcc6 covers most needs and gcc7 is "current". Who knows, maybe gcc13 replaces gcc7 in all its uses. Or maybe later we can add gcc8 or whatever.
>
> Let's switch? I hope gcc's can be added later, maybe even with libgcc stupped?
>
> If we do it today or tomorrow, I can leave my G4 building :-P
>
> Riccardo

Just yesterday I fixed gcc10-bootstrap to build on Tiger PPC and pushed that to master, which required YA new bootstrap compiler. So the parts are now in place for the attempt.

If everyone wants all the gcc versions supported, we can do that. I don't care -- it's just a lot of building (and also fixing that will need to be done, but I presume you'll pitch in on the fixing of the broken gcc versions).