rev-upgrade and checking for +universal dependencies (and build dependencies)

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Jun 8 07:46:34 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jun 07, 2024 at 12:32:20PM +0200, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> As I said I'm not at all familiar with the trace mode but from what I
> understand it works by disabling access to all but a subset of
> installed files.

Using library preloading – which does not currently work against Apple's
binaries on Apple Silicon Macs.

> Could it be combined with the `rev-upgrade` feature to implement
> something like `port dependents [file|port]`, where `port dependents
> <file>` would disable access to the file in question and then run
> `rev-upgrade` (or optionally `rev-upgrade -v`) ?

Tracelib only works on spawned subprocesses, not the MacPorts tclsh
process itself, so in order for that to work, rev-upgrade would have to
spawn a separate process, which it currently does not.

I also don't see how this is would give you anything that

  sudo port deactivate -f "$(port provides "$file")" && sudo port -vy rev-upgrade

or

  sudo mv "$file" "${file}.bak" && sudo port -vy rev-upgrade

would not.

--
Clemens