installing old port version

Алексей Муранов alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 14:24:48 PDT 2007

Le 21 Apr 2007 à 22:59, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> On Apr 21, 2007, at 14:22, Алексей Муранов wrote:
>
>> is it possible to install an older version of a port, if the last
>> one (installed the usual way) crashes?
>
> Yes, but it takes a bit of effort:
>
> - You could either look in the repository browser [1], find the
> source of the old portfile that you want, download it, and
> overwrite your local portfile for that port [2].
>
> - Or you could use a Subversion working copy for your ports tree,
> and use "svn up" to backdate a port to a previous version.
>
> But this is all really not how MacPorts is designed to be used. The
> intention is that there is one version of a port, it is the latest
> an greatest, and if it does not work, then we need to fix it so
> that it works. What port is crashing for you?
>
> [1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/dports
>
> [2] locate it with "port file foo"

Ryan, thanks for your explanation, i might try to use your
recommendations to install an earlier version of xfig.
I have a problem with the port of xfig 3.2.5-alpha5.
It crashes as only i try to open the drop-down menu File, or Edit, or
maybe any menu at all.

About the man pages:
Gufo was right, i am able to see man pages for ports now as i have
added directories to MANPATH in ~/.profile.
By the way, it was not obvious for me where the "global" definition
of environment variable were made, but now i know:
  ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
(see http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
OSX_Technology_Overview/CommandLine/chapter_8_section_4.html)

Alexey.