Problem installing ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 2 15:52:28 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 17:46, Mike Savory wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Skip Evans wrote:
>

>> We just got a used PowerPC G4 we're attempting to set up for a
>> workstation here in a predominantly Linux/Unix shop. We use
>> FreeBSD servers and are very familiar with BSD ports, so I am
>> trying to use MacPorts to set up this G4.
>>
>> I install MacPorts from macports.org successfully, did the
>>
>> port selfupdate
>>
>> to make sure it was up to date and got MacPorts base version
>> 1.520, MacPorts already up to date, so I think all is well there.
>>
>> Two programs we need right away from ports are Gimp for graphics,
>> and Bluefish for code editing.

Note that gimp has many many many dependencies, visualized here for
your amusement:

http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/gimp.png

Installing all these will take a very very very long time (days?),
especially on a used (presumably old) PowerPC Mac. You can always put
the machine to sleep if you need to and it'll resume installing
things when you wake it up. So long as you don't put it to sleep
while it's fetching something from the Internet.

>> Either of those get the following:
>>
>> You already have an X11SDK installed, if you wish to use Apple X11
>> install it from your OS X disc. If you really wish to use XFree86
>> move it aside with sodo mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.apple
>>
>> Not sure what to do here and really don't want to hose up an X
>> server just to install a port.
>>
>> Suggestions? Recommendations to a MacPorts newbie, but an old hand
>> at FreeBSD ports?
>
> The message means you have installed the X11 SDK that was part of
> the developer tools, but you have not installed the X11.app that
> was an optional install in the main Tiger install (it is now
> included by default in Leopard).

Right, and the solution is as the message says: Install X11 from your
Mac OS X installation disc. You do not need to set anything up. You
just need to install X11User.pkg from the DVD, and then try
installing your desired ports again.