PerlMagick build on a PPC G5 mac os X 10.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 12 15:11:59 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 10:46, Constant Dupuis wrote:

> I try to build the PerlMagick package (Image::Magick).
>
> I try using CPAN and fink nothing works.
>
> SO now I try with macports. ImageMagick is installed (with
> macports) and working.
>
> When if I try to build the PerlMagick module I'm told that /opt/
> local/bin/perl is not found.
>
> I try to use the configure.perl statement to force port tu use the
> install perl interpreter  already installed on my machine.
>
> Is it possible ?
>
> If I install the macport Perl interpreter won't it clash with the
> Mac OS X perl ?

MacPorts is designed not to overwrite things installed elsewhere on
your Mac. It's also designed to use, as much as possible, only other
software installed via MacPorts. It's perfectly acceptable to install
perl5.8 from MacPorts so that other ports can make use of it.

If you "sudo port install p5-perlmagick", it should automatically
install perl5.8 (and ImageMagick and other dependencies) for you. Did
that not happen?

Please show us the exact command you typed and the exact output you
got. Also tell us what version of MacPorts and Xcode you have. Thanks.