Need Help With Mac Version of Darwin

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 16 20:27:11 PST 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 15:47, Steve Lutes wrote:

> I have a Mac with OS 10.2. I need install X11 on it for the purpose
> of running GIMP.
>
> I downloaded X11 from the Mac Developer Page and located a download
> page for the
> 2002 version of the Developer CD that works with OS 10.2.
>
> According to the Apple Developer Web Site for X11 info. at
> http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/runningx11.html
>
> It states:
> "Note: Installing X11 on pre-Panther systems requires manually
> installing XFree86 and XDarwin.app from the Sourceforge "XonX"
> project. "
>
> It gives a sourceforge link as http://sourceforge.net/projects/xonx.
> Going to this link gives a download link for XFree86  in .dmg
> format but not for XDarwin.app. In fact, this site says nothing
> about XDarwin
>
> Further research just confused me. I need to know how to install
> XDarwin.app on my machine.
>
> How do I do this?

I don't think anyone on this list is likely to know how to do that.
This list is for using MacPorts. You may be able to install MacPorts
and say "sudo port selfupdate" and then "sudo port install XFree86"
but I'm not sure how likely that is to succeed.

If you want to get it to work the way Apple has described in their
developer note, and you've followed the instructions and they don't
work, you may have to submit feedback to Apple and ask them to
correct their note. Or you could email the developers of the XonX
project and see if they have any advice. Or see if they have any user
forums you could write in for help.