--pretend & --fetch-all options

Christian Voelker C.Voelker at gmx.net
Sat Feb 17 09:31:34 PST 2007

Hello,

Am 17.02.2007 um 07:49 schrieb mel:

> 1) Is there a 'pretend' option for port, whereby when I do port --
> pretend install xfce4,  it will list down all the dependencies and
> packages that will be downloaded and installed?
>
> 2) Is it possible to do parallel fetches of packages?

Call it 'pretend', call it 'dry run', but this one would
be really cool. This even more interesting when doing
upgrades then doing initial installs and if only to
use the last one in the chain with -R and leave it
run unobserved, removing inactive ports afterwords.
Besides, it would give a good guess about how long
a build will actually take.

The prefetching would make sense as well, e.g. in a
case where you are offline for a while but able to
build during that period. I think I have used this
feature in the original BSD ports tree sometime ago.
But compared to the recursive deps checking, this is
second on my enhancement wish list.

Bye, Christian