XFree86 / XDarwin and change of hostname

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Feb 23 08:04:20 PST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Kevin Ballard wrote:
> I'm not particularly familiar with how X servers work, but I
> thought that usually to connect to a local X server you set your
> DISPLAY to :0.0 which makes it connect to localhost.

Because of the design of X, there are potential security issues with
allowing anyone client to access the X server.

There are different methods for dealing with this (see man 7
Xsecurity for details).

I think by default, it's set to use the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE method.

In any event, the .Xauthority file stores the data used to authorize
the client with the X server and each entry contains the X display
name (which is the hostname + display number).

All of which means, changing the hostname of a machine would cause
this to stop working (ie, this is expected behavior).

--
Daniel J. Luke