p5-xml-simple and expat vs. pureperl

Brian Hirt bhirt at mobygames.com
Wed Jan 10 12:46:28 PST 2007

The latest version of XML::Simple won't build with a pure perl
implementation of XML::Simple::PurePerl.  This is the error I'm getting:

=====

   Fatal error: Your default XML parser (XML::SAX::PurePerl) is broken.

   There are known bugs in the PurePerl parser included with version
0.13
   and 0.14 of XML::SAX.  The XML::Simple tests will fail with this
parser.

   One way to avoid the problem is to install XML::SAX::Expat - it will
   install itself as the system default XML parser and then you will
be able
   to install XML::Simple successfully.  XML::SAX::Expat is also much
faster
   than XML::SAX::PurePerl so you probably want it anyway.

=====

It seems there should be a dependency for p5-xml-sax-expat,

Even with the expat version installed, it wouldn't build because it
seems like when installed via port doesn't it doesn't set itself up
as the default parser.

I ended up creating a SAX.ini with the following line:
	ParserPackage = XML::SAX::Expat (0.37)

Then I installed p5-xml-sax-expat and then installed p5-xml-simple