ruby port won't uninstall, or install

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jan 31 08:37:35 PST 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 3:20 AM, flowctrl wrote:
> Is there a way to manually edit the registry?  Macports reports
> that ruby is installed, but it isn't.  I'd like to install it.

You can manually remove the receipt (from /opt/local/var/db/dports/
receipts/ruby), but you may end up with other strange problems.

In general, it's not recommended to manually mess around with the
registry even if you're sure you know what you are doing.

> $ sudo port -vd installed | grep ruby
>   ruby @1.8.5-p12_0
>
> $ sudo port -vd uninstall ruby
> --->  Uninstalling ruby 1.8.5-p12_0
> DEBUG: skip missing file: /private/tmp/0
> DEBUG: /private/tmp is not empty
> DEBUG: /private is not empty
> DEBUG: / is not empty
> --->  Uninstall is removing ruby from the port registry.
>
> $ sudo port -vd installed | grep ruby
>   ruby @1.8.5-p12_0

That is strange, what does `port contents ruby` say?

Daniel J. Luke