Install error: can't read "configure.cflags"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 11 15:50:05 PDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 15:00, Daniel E. Bunker wrote:

> I am having difficulty installing Macports and the PPL library via
> Macports.  I initially intstalled Macports (and updated to 1.5.0),
> but the /opt/local/bin/portslocation/ folder is not there.  I thus
> made the folders myself and went ahead (note also that I previously
> tried to install it in /bin/, which also failed with same error,
> and I then removed and reinstalled Macports):
>
> $ cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/ppl

I don't know what all this is. MacPorts does not use a directory
called "portslocation" and you do not need to be in any particular
directory in order to install a port. Did some documentation lead you
to the above? If so, please point it out so that we can correct it.

> $ sudo port install ppl
>
> Macports successfully installed gmp and glpk but failed on
> configuring gmp-cxx-wrappers (see log below).
>
> So, am I just missing something as a newbie?  Or is there some
> other problem here?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> I am using a macbook pro 2.2GHz Core 2 with os x 10.4.10

I just tried "sudo port install gmp-cxx-wrappers" and also got the
error you reported. I'm on a rev 2 MacBook Pro with 2.16 GHz Core 2
Duo and OS X 10.4.9.

$ sudo port install gmp-cxx-wrappers
Password:
--->  Fetching gmp-cxx-wrappers
--->  Attempting to fetch gmp-4.2.1.tar.bz2 from http://ftp.gnu.org/
gnu/gmp
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gmp-cxx-wrappers
--->  Extracting gmp-cxx-wrappers
--->  Configuring gmp-cxx-wrappers
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: can't read
"configure.cflags": no such variable

Revision 24246 seems to have caused this. If I undo that revision,
the port builds (though I don't know if it works).

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/24246

You should submit a bug in our Trac system. I do not know if this is
a bug in the portfile or a bug in base.

Another problem with this portfile is that it downloads
gmp-4.2.1.tar.bz2 again into /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/gmp-
cxx-wrappers although it already exists in /opt/local/var/macports/
distfiles/gmp. That should be corrected as well. It should use the
existing distfile in the gmp directory.