Kerberos5 depends on gnupg but not gnupg2

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Sun Jul 22 16:31:11 PDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:

> Yves, great, I'll see if I can get the Portfile to use gnupg2
> instead of gnupg. Is the kerberos5 MacPort not really used much by
> anyone now? I see that Apple now includes a Kerberos Key
> Distribution Center (KDC) in Mac OS X Server (I think starting with
> 10.3 - Panther) which might suffice for most people, although some
> of the MacPorts can be built with the "kerberos" variant which then
> indeed depends on the kerberos5 MacPort having been installed. I
> see there is also an implementation of Kerberos which is available
> in MacPorts as the heimdal port. Do most in the MacPorts community
> now have a preference for the heimdal port over the kerberos5 port?

I've a preference for the Heimdal implementation.

Compare Heimdal:
	http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?
o=0&l=30&c=12&op=display_list&vendor=Heimdal&version=&title=&CVE=

vs MIT Kerberos:
	http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?
o=0&l=30&c=12&op=display_list&vendor=MIT&version=&title=Kerberos%
205&CVE=
	http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?
o=0&l=30&c=12&op=display_list&vendor=MIT&version=&title=Kerberos%
204&CVE=

As for gnupg vs gnupg2, both branches are still maintained; gnupg 1.x
is -- for now -- probably a safer and more conservative choice.

-landonf