Can't use rsync port

Thomas De Contes d.l.tDeContes at free.fr
Mon Jul 23 16:54:57 PDT 2007

Le mardi, 24 juil 2007, à 00:59 Europe/Paris, miles3 a écrit :

> I am trying to use MacPorts inside our corporate infrastructure. And IT
> security is somewhat strict - very few network ports are open, so I can
> forget about using rsync's port (or SMB or AFP, etc). We do have
> access to
> http and ftp ports through the firewall.

> If subversion uses a different port
> (I don't know) than I probably can't use that either.

subversion can use the http port, or an other (following the svn
protocol, i suppose, i don't know it)
it depends of the server

for MacPorts it is the http port :-)
svn co
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_5_0/base/
macports/

> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method.

> And NO, I can't get
> IT to open the network port (I don't know why I always get this
> question).

just the next question : why ??
because, really, rsync is a well-known protocol, so it's curious that
firewalls block it !

(in fact, what's the interest for a firewalls to block not well-known
protocols ? since a hacker will be able to use the few open ports to
communicate ...)

on top of that, some ports may want to use rsync instead of http to
download their sources

--
Mon CV : http://tDeContes.hd.free.fr/divers/emploi/