failed to build ports ocaml, xfig

Stefan Bruda bruda at cs.ubishops.ca
Mon Jul 23 20:04:31 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I tried this and xfig then installs fine, but I now get the same
>> problem as reported earlier:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-April/
>> 002746.html
>>
>> and:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-June/
>> 003917.html
>>
>> In the same thread it is suggested to build xfig without Xaw3d.
>> Is this a good idea?

Yes, or at least works for me.

>> If so, can someone tell me how to do that or add some explanantion to:
>>
>>   You should find out which configure flag for building xfig is
>>   required to disable the use of Xaw3d (is xfig using configure or
>>   still imake/xmkmf?) and add it to configure-args.append.

There does not seem to be possible to use the portfile for this purpose,
though a patch could be written and applied by the portfile.  Being lazy
and lacking time, what I did instead is:

    port -v extract xfig
    cd `port dir xfig`/work/xfig.3.2.5/
    vi Imakefile
       # search for: #define XAW3D
       # comment (XCOMM) the just found line
    port -v install xfig

I also edited the port:

    vi `port file xfig`

and I eliminated the dependency of port:Xaw3d.  This is not theoretically
necessary but is correct given that I just eliminated the actual Xaw3d
dependency.

BY the way, did anybody notice that upgrading Xaw3d to 1.5E_1 breaks quite
badly other things such as xemacs and gv?  Any suggestions on what could
be done about this one?

> This sounds like a matter for the maintainer of the xfig port, whom
> I'm Cc'ing on this email.

I believe that Xaw3D is the overall culprit, so the dependency should be
removed (and the Imakefile patched accordingly) until the issue is fixed.

Cheers,
Stefan