question about upgrading port (getting errors)

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Sat Jun 2 07:21:37 PDT 2007

On 2.6.2007, at 16.49, Evan Burrows wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer on
> google.  I currently had a php5 port that had the mysql4 variant
> installed.
> I want to add support for mysql5 instead so i tried upgrading with
> little
> luck.  I installed mysql5 fine and then deactivated mysql4 with no
> problem.
> When I try to then install a new version of php5 using port install
> php5
> +apache2 +mysql5 +pear I end up getting errors after waiting a very
> long
> time for things to compile.  The typical error is:
>
> Error: Activating pcre 7.1_1 failed: Image error: Another version
> of this
> port (pcre @4.5_0) is already active.
> or
> Error: Deactivating expat 1.95.7_0 failed: Image error: expat
> @1.95.7_0 not
> installed as an image.
>
> but in place of expat when i tried to install the php5 directly it
> gave an
> error about pcre.  I then tried to upgrade all my updated ports
> using port
> upgrade outdated and some were successful while others got similar
> errors as
> described above?  What is causing this problem and how do I go
> about fixing
> it because of of right now my LAMP install is busted and I can't get
> anything accomplished until i resolve the php5 issue.  Any
> information would
> be greatly appreciated and if I missed providing any important
> information
> please ask and I will gladly supply it.
>
> Thanks,
> Evan

Hi,
I am sorry, if I am wrong, but I understand that you tried to install
php5 +mysql5 &c while having php5 +mysql4 installed? If you change
variants, you ought to uninstall first, sorry for that. It is also
hard to understand, where does pcre @4.5_0 come from.
You could:
- look at what you have installed with 'port installed' (or e.g. port
installed name:php)
- port clean --all expat (, and pcre and php5)
- uninstall expat, pcre, and php5 (use -f if necessary)
- install them again

What version of port do you have? What operating system are you
working on? What Xcode version do you have?
!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	skype:jyrkiwahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386