macports-users Digest, Vol 10, Issue 2

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Sat Jun 2 10:52:17 PDT 2007

On 2.6.2007, at 20.50, Charles White wrote:

> Apple doesn't have any kind of fortran for Mac OS X / Darwin.
> However, various flavors of fortran are included in various flavors
> of GCC. You can use MacPorts to install GCC 4.1 (I think GCC 4.2 is
> still developmental). Someplace useful to you at some point is
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranGettingStarted. I know that I've
> compiled other peoples code that contains fortran (R language for
> statistical computing) under MacPorts. With that said, MacPorts
> doesn't seem to find the direct command to start the compiler
> (gfortran). I suspect you will need a 'portfile' to get this
> working. For my part, I haven't written fortran since ... 1977.
>
> Chuck
>
> On Jun 2, 2007, at 12:44 PM, macports-users-
> request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
>
>> Message: 9
>> Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:44:43 -0400
>> From: Andre-John Mas <ajmas at sympatico.ca>
>> Subject: Fortran
>> To: MacPorts Users <macports-users at lists.macosforge.org>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just been given some fortran source, which I need to compile,
>> so I was curious to know whether a fortran compiler existed as part
>> of MacPorts? There doesn't seem to be a Fortran compiler as part of
>> the basic gcc installers that comes with XCode, at least there
>> doesn't
>> seem to be an f77 command.

Hi,
gcc42 went stable a while ago, so that is the current official
release. Looking at the port system bin directory, the way to launch
the compiler seems to be 'gfortran-mp-4.2'. I didn't test this, but
there it seems to sit waiting for code to compile:-)

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	skype:jyrkiwahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386